Thursday, July 21, 2011

Respect

"Dance is life for many of us out here and is nothing to take lightly, and it's personally offensive when people blatantly disrespect our work and our mentors. We're a community that shares our heart and soul with one another, if you can't understand and respect that you need to find a new "hobby". Because it's far more than that for us." - Dorian Rhea


I was just scrolling through my Facebook when I came across this status. Dorian is a really good friend of mine and a really talented dancer. Like myself and a lot of my other friends, dance is something we are seriously dedicated to. It's something that we actually want to do. It's more than just a hobby, it's a passion. He hit right on the head with this status. I'm very serious when it comes to defending my fellow dancers and our art. To hear someone say something rude and inaccurate about what I plan on dedicating my life to, I get offended.


I personally believe that dancers are VERY underrated. For example, in music videos people typically focus on the artist, not the back-up. Of course dancers notice them. Some dancers that I idolize and adore, no one has even heard about them. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's why dancers are so willing to share their talent. Why not have everyone experience what you love?


I totally understand not liking dance and not wanting to have anything to do with it, but please, all I ask is that you respect the art and the hardworking dancers beating themselves into the ground everyday trying to perfect it and amaze the people that ARE interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment