Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Same ol' sh*t.

School. I'm not going to say that I hate getting an education, but I don't like how it's being done. As Americans we are taught that we need to go to school and get good grades so we can get good jobs and live comfortably. Until this year, I never really objected it. Waking up everyday and sitting in a building for hours was something that I had to do. In actuality, it's kind of stupid.

In the American school system, everything is essentially about making the grade. It is as if we have to prove ourselves to society in order to be successful in life. I'm stressing myself about a score on a standardized test that is a big deciding factor in whether I'm good enough to get into a certain school. I'm stressing myself about getting the best grades because I've screwed something up every single year until now--colleges won't accept me with bad grades. My one fear about my near future is ending up having to settle for a school because I wasn't "good enough."

I find myself thinking about my yearning to just live my life. I don't and I can't apply everything I learn in school to my daily life. To be quite honest, I don't remember a lot of what I "learn" in school. I'm not sure if that's because of the way things were taught to me or if I just never bothered to really learn it. The two can go hand in hand. I'd rather just go out and enjoy life. School can make life pretty miserable sometimes, not all. Then again, everyone is different.

I eventually get overwhelmed with my resent toward going to my high school every single day. It's not a bad school. It is actually one of the best public high schools in the city of Chicago. I still hate going. Learning about something I'm passionate about seems as if it would be a lot more productive. I completely understand learning the basics but somethings are just unnecessary. That's what is so intriguing to me about college. Aside from the freedoms, I get to chose what I want to learn about. Nothing is more motivating that being eager to learn about something in particular. I'm so ready for that experience.

Until then however, I'm stuck in the bowels of the public school system. Just trying to get by and make it to that next stage. Oh, college.

No comments:

Post a Comment